These cufflinks are inspired by a giant Assyrian statue of a human-headed winged bull. The Chicago Bull, in white stone, was transported to Chicago in 1929 in several large fragments. It originally belonged to a group which flanked the door to the throne room of the Assyrian King, Sargon II, at his palace at Khorsabad. Composite winged animals were common in Babylonian and Assyrian art, and were often placed at gateways as protection from evil spirits.
Materials: pewter with antique gold finish, chain included, spring ring closure
Chain length: 18"
From the collections of the Oriental Institute, Chicago
Made in United States of America